Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Recipe Tuesday: Parsnip, Herb and Sun-dried Tomato Salad
I experiment with new foods all the time. I will habitually buy something in the store that I have not tried before just for the chance to experience what it might be like. I made this recipe before and it was loved by it's audience. This recipe is more geared towards a Paleo recipe, but it can be modified very simply.
Parsnip, Herb and Sun-dried Tomato Salad
4-6 medium sized parsnips
4-6 oz of sun-dried tomatoes (your brand of choice)
4-6 oz of feta cheese
8 oz of low-carb beef broth (your brand of choice)
2-3 tbsp Avocado or Extra Virgin Olive oil
Herb of choice (I used mint, but basil would probably be as good)
Pepper/Kosher Salt to taste
Optional: Pepperoni slices to add more protein to the mix
For my taste I found that using equal parts of ingredients allowed it to mix very well. (4 parsnips, 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes, 4 oz of feta cheese, but everyone's taste is different)
1. Peel parsnips much like a carrot or potato. Once complete cut into small 1/2"-1" squares. Place in a pot, with the broth, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until parsnips start to become soft.
2. Dice sun-dried tomatoes and herbs adding as much as you would like for your taste, and then put in a bowl.
3. Once parsnips are done, remove, strain and let cool for 5 minutes, before adding them to the bowl with the sun-dried tomatoes.
4. If adding pepperoni, add now, and oil of choice, and then salt and pepper to taste.
5. Crumble feta cheese into mix, and fold with a mixing spoon, be sure not to stir, and crush the parsnips as they will be relatively soft.
Ready to serve. No additional baking, or cooking needed.